Saturday, January 4, 2014

Finance meeting last night -- The Long Game, The Short Game

I had a meeting with a third party about creative financing. There are certainly possibilities using the methods I researched but it will probably involve a lawyer or CPA to draft the complicated rule set to keep me from incurring the wrath of the IRS.

At the moment I see two directions in this loan process. One is to buy land and plant an orchard. This is the long game and without large amounts of additional capital it means growing a cidery through the trees, which of course is a very slow process. The biggest advantage I see here is supply. Going forward I expect the local and micro farm food movement to increase in popularity. Cider has strong niche potential to grow rapidly towards increasing demand. Many states have experienced explosive growth in cider production. This will put a strain on cider specific apples for people that want to source locally. Planting an orchard now and building the cidery later might be the wisest method.

The short game involves banking everything on building an urban cidery that seeks rapid growth in order to finance the purchase of land to plant an orchard. I am not as excited by this method unless I can build it in a specific way that is not reliant on large scale distribution. I have a design in mind for a tap room driven urban cidery but its very capital intensive. In addition I am more motivated by the craft side than the business side of making cider so an orchard has more appeal.

Again supply is the issue in all of this. At the moment Maryland has a shortage of wine grapes, anyone wanting to make Maryland wine that does not have a vineyard can not do so. It would be a shame to build a cidery around the theme of local apples from NOVA, MD and PA and find that you have to source further due to lack of cider apple supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment