Sunday, January 5, 2014

Added 6 gallons from Brown's orchard in PA yesterday

This is a massive orchard in Pennsylvania that a lot of cider makers are sourcing from to get their cider start ups going. In addition to supplying start ups they are providing a lot of home fermenters access to reasonably priced quality juice. I look forward to visiting the orchard in the spring to see the trees blooming.

At the moment I am thinking of trying to make a champagne style fast fermented cider, I want to bottle it close to 1.010 so it retains carbonation. I tasted a forced carbonation cider the other day and I felt the co2 was battling the flavor of the cider, the carb and the apple didn't seem to be fused together. Down the road if I have an orchard I will probably focus on making the cider in the orchard and keeping the orchard on the biodynamic side of the spectrum. I would like to stay away from additives and forced carbonation.




No comments:

Post a Comment