Thursday, January 16, 2014

Beta orchard plan

I have ordered mostly standard root stock. My plan is to build an orchard that leans towards biodynamic or an echo of the style of the orchard Masanobu Fukuoka cultivated. I read in The new Cider Maker's Handbook that Claude Jolicqeur lives about an hour away from his orchard, his trees are on standard root stock and his orchard seems to be in the biodynamic style. I have seen the devastation of deer but as long as they don't knock the trees over I hope that eventually after 5 years of growth a significant portion of the apples will begin to grow higher than they can reach.

The yield per acre will be much less than a dwarf of semi dwarf based orchard but I am doing long term planning on this orchard and hope over time the trees will yield a significant quality apple.

All of this is subject to change as I am an inexperienced acolyte of others significant orchard work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment