Wednesday, January 22, 2014

WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast racked and tasted

I racked this one early this morning. Its a 1 gallon tester batch using Brown's orchard cider from their Pennsylvania orchards. To date without a doubt this is the most interesting taste I have produced. Many of the champagne and white wine yeasts have fermented wonderfully into very dry pleasant ciders but none of them have vaulted above what I consider average. I do not have control over the apple blends except for the few batches I have hand pressed and nothing has aged long term but potential finished tastes can be determined early on. I will use this WLP810 in several future cider batches if I can age out the sulfur side effects. I read that WLP810 can impart a sulfur smell and taste on the cider and I can confirm this is true. 


I found the taste to have an almost whiskey over tone with the body of a Chardonnay. My goal is to let it age for a short period in a used whiskey barrel and then move it back to glass for longer term aging.


No comments:

Post a Comment