Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The laws of Maryland in relation to winery and brewery permits and licenses

So far I have made little progress in understanding the costs in dollars and time in procuring permits and licenses. No one really has the answers on how to do this without extreme complications. The information I have from local breweries and supply stores suggest its a very frustrating and expensive process. I tried to talk to my local representative and she was very nice but she passed me to a paid consultant. One route I am considering going is buying land and planting an orchard. I would then down the road build the Cidery on the orchard. At least I wouldn't need a license to get started with apples and cider as long as the production is for private consumption.

The other big problem is the type of license. You need a winery license if you go over 7% alcohol but then everything you make has to be at least 7%. Many apples when pressed without added sugars weigh in with a brix that will yield less than 7%. At the moment I want to avoid adding sugars to increase the alcohol level but down the road I may have to consider blending honey or another additive to increase alcohol levels if I need a winery license.

No comments:

Post a Comment